Poinsettia Plant Sale
Orders Close: 20 November 2020
Pickup: 5 December 2020
Energy to Burn High, Ageless Energy and Yoga
(7 X 14 week Programs sponsored by City of Calgary)
Summary of the Fitness and Yoga Programs
The Citadel Community Association in conjunction with Sponsorship from the City of Calgary will be running FREE Fitness and Yoga Programs. These will include 3 X Energy to Burn (High Intensity Interval Training), 2 X Ageless Energy, and 2 X Yoga programs. Each program will run for a duration of 14 week Programs, commencing on 8 September 2020 through until 18 December 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an Introductory Sponsored Program - The CCA in conjunction with our trainers, plan to continue with these Programs in the New Year - but there will be a Registration Fee for future programs if you wish to continue in these Programs. We will endeavour to keep these costs as low as possible.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a sponsored event therefore we do require an Active CCA Membership and to give everyone a equal and fair opportunity - we will ONLY accept registration for a single Program. Should you select multiple programs - we will DELETE additional Programs.
Meet the Instructors
|Karen Hagen – Fitness Coach||
Karen has been living in Citadel with her family since 2001.
Karen is a Certified Group Fitness Instructor with Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association, with designations in Older Adult, Portable Equipment, TRX, Pure Strength and more. She has been actively instructing in the fitness industry for 10 years including Bootcamp, HIIT, Corporate Fitness and Older Adult.
She has a love for the outdoors and is passionate about living a healthy and active lifestyle. Karen is also passionate about the Citadel Community and has been providing outdoor classes throughout the spring and summer of 2020.
Karen cares about teaching classes that are well planned, inclusive, safe, and effective. Teaching fitness classes puts her in her happy place, knowing that she is leading her students toward reaching their fitness goals!
Karen is excited to help you on your fitness journey.
|April Borne - Yoga Instructor||
April has been teaching Yoga in Calgary for over 7 years, both in studio and private sessions.
She brings warmth and humour to her yoga teaching and knows that a Yoga practice is for everybody and every body. When you join April for a Yoga session she will provide clear instruction and modifications to encourage a safe and well rounded practice.
April enjoyed a 25 year EMS career was a personal trainer, karate practitioner ,enjoys paddle boarding and travel. She continues to experience the many therapeutic benefits that yoga brings to her life and those who seek balance in mind and body.
The Rules and Conditions:
- This is a FREE program sponsored by the City of Calgary. We therefore require that everyone has an active CCA membership. ($30 per household per year- $15 for Seniors)
- Registration will be accepted on a first come first served basis - but you will be verified for CCA membership and will be required to complete a Health and Wellness Questionnaire and sign a disclaimer for final acceptance into the program.
- Due to the limited spaces available and to provide maximum opportunity to all members, an individual ONLY register for a Single Program.
- Because this is a Free event - If you miss two fitness classes during the 14 week program - you will automatically forfeit your place to someone on the waiting list.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - COVID-19:
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing requirements - class sizes will be limited to a maximum of 9 people.
- Because you will be involved in physical activity, the wearing of mask is not required.
- All Provincial COVID-19 recommendations must be adhered to.
MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAMS:
|Energy to Burn is a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)||
Energy to Burn is a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) using short bursts of activity to spike the metabolism and keep it running at an accelerated rate, an added bonus is that it keeps the workouts fresh and engaging.
HIIT is ideal for weight loss and muscle tone as it focuses on charging up the metabolism and increasing lean muscle. And with the higher metabolism, the body burns more fat and enjoys higher energy levels throughout the day.
If you have an injury or are new to exercise our Fitness Coach Karen Hagen can easily modify any movement to make sure you still get the calorie burn, weight loss or strength and tone results you’re looking for.
Weights and mats are required
Please note that health questionnaires will be sent to registered participants prior to first class.
Ageless Energy is a no to low impact fitness class, geared to the over 55 age group, who are looking for a gentler but challenging workout.
We will focus on range of motion, strength and flexibility. We will be moving and working on getting and staying fit, as well as toning and strengthening.
If you have an injury or are new to fitness our Fitness Coach Karen Hagen is certified in Older Adult Fitness and can easily modify any movement to make sure you are safe and enjoying the class.
Weights and yoga mats are required
Please note that health questionnaires will be sent to registered participants prior to first class.
|Yoga:|| Yoga is an old discipline from India. It is both spiritual and physical. Yoga uses breathing techniques, exercise and meditation. It helps to improve health and happiness. Yoga is the Sanskrit word for union. Patanjali was a pioneer of classical yoga. He defined yoga as "the cessation of the modification of the mind" (stopping changing the mind).
A person doing yoga will move from one posture (called asana) to another. For example, the "sun-salutation" contains 12 poses of asanas, one after the other, and is said to help balance body and soul. There is a specific mantra for each asana.
Citadel Community Association Tennis Ladder League
The CCA surveyed the community and a lot of interest was shown to start a Community based Tennis League. We will be therefore be starting a new Citadel Community Association Tennis Ladder League.
How does it work?
A tennis ladder league is a system for ranking a group of tennis players. It is also a great way to play some tennis, to meet other players of a similar strength, and have a lot of fun. In a tennis ladder league, players are arranged like rungs of a ladder. Players can challenge one another to a match. As a player wins or loses, the player moves up or down in position on the tennis ladder. The goal of a tennis ladder league is to be at the top.
How do I register?
Select one or more of the following Links to Register for one of four ladder leagues. You will be redirected to the Global Tennis Network website where you will need to Create a Free Personal Account and Register for one of these leagues.
What are the Rules of this League?
- The CCA Tennis Courts will be Reserved everyday from 5PM to 7PM for League Matches. Players can also make use of the first-come-first-served option outside of the reserved times.
- The ladder is open to Active members of the CCA only…You can check your membership status or renew your membership HERE
- Playing Level:
Every match you play and record on GTN, whether it be a practice, ladder, tournament or league match, gets used to calculate your singles or doubles playing level. This helps you accurately assess your playing levels, and also find opponents with a similar playing level. On every profile page, you can see a player's playing level badges. These badges give a quick reference to a player's calculated singles and doubles playing levels.
The badges include: (a) The accuracy of the calculated playing level. The more unique opponent matches played, the better the accuracy of the calculation. (b) The calculated playing level from 2.0 - 6.0. Where 2.0 is a beginner, and 6.0 is semi-pro. (c) A historical graph representation of calculated levels over time.
- This ladder will begin June 24, 2020 and end October 31, 2021.
- Teams / Individuals have 7 days to accept or decline a challenge before it is automatically declined.
- Teams / individuals will not be penalized for declining challenges.
- Teams / Individuals have 14 days to play an accepted challenge before it expires, and the challenged team / individual will automatically decline the challenge.
- Teams / Individuals will not be penalized for not playing matches.
- Forfeits will not be treated like a lost match and will have no effect on rankings or points.
- Players should play the best of three sets using standard Tennis Scoring.
- The following system will be used to compute a player's position on the ladder.
Leap Frog: This is the most basic and simplest ranking system. When a lower ranked player beats a higher ranked player, the lower ranked player "leap frogs" over the higher ranked player, pushing them and each player initially between them down one spot. If the higher ranked player wins, nothing happens.
- After the match, the winner must submit the score to the system.
- All ladder members should maintain current profile contact information. If you change phone numbers or e-mail addresses, you must update your profile so other member can contact you and you will receive email notifications.
Scouting at a Distance
The Hawkwood/Citadel 214 Scouting Group has been making the best of having to stay at home! To do their part in flattening the curve, Scouts Canada has mandated all groups across Canada to postpone all in-person activities, but that’s not stopping us from having fun!
Weekly meetings look a lot different these days. The youth continue to connect via online platforms to stay in touch with their groups, play games and present the work they’ve completed and the skills they’ve acquired to earn badges. They’ve also taken part in scuba diving and geocaching presentations and virtual tours of the Seattle Museum of Flight, Machu Picchu and the Solar System.
At home the kids have kept busy creating uplifting cards for seniors at a local residence, showing off their fabulously designed Cub Cars and Scout Trucks, and learning important outdoor skills like preparing foil packet meals (yum) and creating essential survival kits.